Saturday, June 13, 2009

Balancing Act

Second week down and eight to go until the end of the summer semester.  If I consider all the information that I have to learn by the end of the summer, my head might explode.  I guess that's why it's always recommended to take things one step at a time.  I do like to know where I'm headed, however.  By the end of the summer, I will (roughly) know every nerve, artery, vein, and lympathic vessel in the body.  I will know all the muscles, their actions, their attachments, and what they look like.  I will have a decent set of physical diagnosis skills down (hopefully) and have practiced multiple times on Steve.  Poor guy's ears and eyes are already taking a (gentle) beating.  :)  I will have a rudimentary understanding of differential diagnosis and developed a broader understanding of underserved populations.

However, as important as the information and skills are, learning how to balance is just as important.  So today, I balanced.  Steve and I went for a decent hike up in Estes Park, doing two separate hikes with a total of about 8 miles.  We went up Deer Ridge Mountain, which provides an amazing view of the park and Estes Park at the top.  We then went through Beaver Meadows, enjoying the beautiful lush green that's everywhere right now.  Then we drove back through Boulder, stopping for a post-hike meal of french fries (that's right) at Spud Brothers, aka the best french fries in the whoooole world.  Well, just maybe the best.  :)  Now we are back and I smell like bug spray and sweat, but have to get through some more anatomy before tomorrow.  I'm determined to have a good attitude about it, though.  It's all learning more of God's great creation, right?

No comments: