Sunday, October 9, 2011

First Week Down

It's the end of my first week in Baltimore and it's been a whirlwind one.  This month, my rotation is the newborn nursery at Johns Hopkins.  They have a high volume of babies born there and these babies more often than not have a  complicated history, even at birth.  A year and a half ago, I spent a few days in the nursery at University of Colorado hospital.  The babies there were born into what was considered complicated social situations, but are actually extremely tame when compared to those born at JHMI.  At University hospital, the most complicated babies would be born to a teenage mother.  Here, they have babies who have been HIV exposed, who are born to opiate addicted mothers (babies will undergo withdrawal once they are born, since babes aren't known for doing heroin), who possibly have syphilis, and a variety of other medical/social issues that have just totally opened my eyes to the difficulties that babies can really face when they are born.  I'm jumping right in there, charting and doing exams on the babies.  It's been such a blessing to have so many rotations where I'm expected to hit the ground running, it's now just second nature and it's not too overwhelming.  It's still overwhelming, since there are so many babies and so many difficult things going on.  But at the very least, I don't go home crying every day.  :)

Since I only work 3 days a week, I can spend the other 4 days exploring the area, which is exactly what I've done.  Thursday, I figured out the public transit system Surprisingly easy-and cheap!  Within Baltimore, I can get around for free on the Charm City Circulator.  I took that to Penn Station and caught a commuter train into DC to do a little touristy things on my own.  On my list for the day was the American History Smithsonian, but I ducked into the Natural History Museum for an exhibit on the forensics of the Chesapeake Bay Excavation.  They also had a great forensics exhibit about using human bones to discover true causes of death, solve crimes, etc.  It satisfied my not-so-inner geek!

 My morning started in Union Station.  So beautiful!!!  In the morning, I missed the commuter crowd, but I definitely ran into them on my way home that afternoon.
 This is at the American History Museum.  I was so excited to see the First Ladies inauguration gowns-they were all so glamorous and I loved the stories that went along with each of the women.  I was also finally able to see the Star Spangled Banner, which had been under restoration each of the previous times I'd been there.  It was absolutely awe-inspiring.  I just love American history!!
My lunch spot that day-much better than a hospital cafeteria, let me tell you.  The first few days I was in Maryland, the weather was so very cold and rainy.  However, it cleared right up and has been in the 70s each day and just beautiful.


The Washington Monument is still closed after damage from the earthquake a couple months ago-but my eye can't detect any leaning. :)

The next day, I spent time with Sarah and Adalaine.

Our good friends the Kariukis live 30 minutes away and have been sweet enough to drive to get me so I can hang with them.  They also took me with them when they went to the beach, to Assateague Island.  Assateague Island is a barrier island that has wild horses living on it.  I'd read about it a few months ago and had added it to my bucket list of places to go before I die.  I had no idea I'd get to go so quickly!  The drive was pretty long, but it was lovely to get to see the state.
 So wonderful to feel the sand under my toes and hear the surf.  I didn't get in the water (well, except for my lower legs.  I couldn't go to the beach without getting my feet in!!!!), but instead went for a wonderful walk and just plain relaxed with my friends.
 Sarah and I have been friends since college-same goes for her husband, Solomon.  We actually were friends with each of them separately before they got together and were so pleased that two of our favorite people fell in love.  They are awesome!
These are a couple of the famed wild horses.  They were smaller than other horses (I guess they are really ponies) and there were many signs all over the island warning visitors to "NOT FEED OR APPROACH THE HORSES".  Every national park has their thing they have to warm visitors away from.  Somehow, approaching a horse seems a little tamer than knowing how to deal with a bear or a mountain lion. :)

I'm excited to see what this next week holds.  Steve will be coming on Thursday for a visit and we have plans to explore Baltimore, DC, and visit our friends.  I'm praying that clinic will continue to go well and that all the babies born will feel God's presence in their lives and will have hope above what others envision for them.  Stay tuned for more adventures!

No comments: